Neonomos: The elastic world of Shi'a

Thursday, August 24, 2006

The elastic world of Shi'a

A couple of days ago an editorial column in an Iranian newspaper grabbed my attention. The author is talking about a dispute between two important Iranian theologians: Dr. Nasr and Dr Soroush. Although these two scholars are both Muslim and Shi’a, their ideas about Islam and religion differ dramatically in theory and practice. Studying the contrasting theologies of these two full-fledged Shi’a scholars, makes me think about the real nature of Islam; is Islam such an elastic concept that can be manipulated by two scholars in completely two different ways? If that is the case, I am really interested to discover the logic of Islam’s elastisity. I am sure you know why I want to discover that!
I will give a repot of the editorial in my next post. Until then, go to the website of these two scholars ( click on Nasr and Soroush) and have fun with the elastic world of Shi’a !
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.