Neonomos: On regime change; a priori conditions and a posteriori problems

Sunday, August 20, 2006

On regime change; a priori conditions and a posteriori problems


1
In my last post, I was trying to show some "a priori" conditions which make a democracy possible; conditions which are not necessarily democratic. If we accept these a priories, we won't be bashful about enforcing them.

2
I want to get back to the last question of my previous post: “…Can we use force to convert Iranians to liberalism without their consent? If we manage to convert them, don't you agree everyone would be better off…?" Here comes the challenge: how confident are we about this "if"? Defiantly it is not an easy question; but how difficult is that? Is it possible to answer this question at all? Proponents of regime change normally will be positive about this “if”. However, it is not enough to be optimist. If we claim that something is achievable, we should be able to show how we go about achieving it.

3
Iraq the model is a very interesting and successful blog from inside Iraq. I frequently read the blog since it gives a first account information about the development of enforced democracy in Iraq. I am also planning to read an in depth analysis of democracy development in West Germany and Japan after the World War II. We have to figure out how iffy this “if” gets!
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.